Backend / Systems Engineer
Who We Are
Spatial’s mission is to empower people to be more connected, creative, and productive. Organizations are increasingly distributed across offices and information doesn’t flow easily. Success depends on people working together. Our first product enables people to collaborate from anywhere with AR.
Our founders have deep backgrounds in 3D user interfaces. Co-Founder Anand Agarawala sold his previous startup BumpTop(a 3D, physics, multi-touch desktop) to Google, also demoed in a TED talk. Co-Founder Jinha Lee developed pioneering AR interfaces at MIT, Microsoft, and Samsung, and showed them in his TED talk. We are a passionate team of 3D Design and AR/VR experts based in New York and San Francisco.
Spatial raised a seed round from investors including iNovia Capital, Expa (founded by Uber’s Co-Founder), Lerer Hippeau, and Samsung NEXT, as well as angels including Mark Pincus (Founder of Zynga), Andy Hertzfeld (Co-Inventor of the Macintosh), and Joi Ito (Director of the MIT Media Lab).
We are currently working with Ford, Shopify, and Microsoft, and exploring partnerships with many Fortune 1000 companies. Our launch was covered in Forbes, Fast Company, Tech Crunch, Engadget, Inc among others.
- Develop services to support interactions between phones, web, and AR/VR devices
- Implement websocket protocols to support real-time AR/VR experiences
- Architect scalable microservices that grow according to demand
- Implement client-side APIs which take maximal advantage of backend services
- Set up monitoring of all systems to watch and diagnose overall system health
- Experience implementing scalable backend services
- Experience designing, implementing, and expanding REST APIs
- Expertise in structuring, migrating, and versioning data in NoSQL databases
- Proficient at deploying and monitoring services on AWS/Azure/Google Cloud/etc.
- Deep knowledge of developing backend services in Go
- Experience developing with MongoDB
- Experience designing real-time protocols over websockets
- Experience configuring and deploying services using Ansible playbooks
- Experience with Docker/Kubernetes
- Knowledge of C# and some experience writing Unity scripts
This position is full-time, based in New York City and include a competitive salary, benefits and an equity stake in the company.